Thursday 24 January 2008

The beginning...

Dear Colleagues,

This is my first blog post at JCU. Let me first wish everyone a very Happy New Year and all the best for a rewarding 2008. I hope you have all have the opportunity for some break over the holiday period. No doubt 2008 will be busy.

JCU's new students are starting to enrol. We have made a similar number of offers this year compared with 2007 - a good result given the decline in applications across Australia. While some of us have been away, a signficant number our colleagues have been very busy over the past few weeks supervising student offers and acceptances.

Before we know it, the start of the semester will be upon us. I don't know about you, but I particularly enjoy the start of the academic year - the sense of a new beginnings and renewed energy and vibrancy on campus as students return.

I plan to use the blog to keep you up to date with particular issues the University is facing - and simply to fill you in about what's happening and what's new from my perspective. I intend to post regularly - though how often, I'm not too sure as yet.

Please feel free to add your views and perspectives to the blog. Very happy to use the blog to discuss issues and events from your perspective as well. Of course, you can always email me directly at sandra.harding@jcu.edu.au if you'd rather do that.

If you are still away, please travel safely back to campus. If you're at work already, I look forward to seeing you around.

Cheers,
Sandra